Pages

Why? my blog title "Better2me"

As a woman, mother, and wife my first instinct is to take care of those around me. I nurture those I love in many ways through out the day, but sometimes find myself neglecting me. Recently I realized that I need to nurture myself as well. So this blog is about ME!!!!! What fills my heart; my simple life of kids, husband, animals, home, and creativity. For being better2me leads me to be better to those I love.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Berkly and bumble bees

A few days ago I came home after a couple hours out to find the wood floors dry, nothing was chewed and the loaves of bread that I had left rising on the counter where still there. I knew something was wrong, but my attention was drawn to my youngest son and his friends whose bus arrived at that moment. After I got them a snack and watched them run down to the pool to cool themselves in the midday heat, I realized immediately what was wrong. There was no 90lb dog trying to beat them to the water. No wet mouth grabbing them by the swim trunks to pull them to safety.......I went looking for Berkly, our one year old chocolate lab, and found her under the umbrella tree. As I walked up to her I thought she was sleeping, but as I got closer I realized she was awake just unwilling to put out the effort to move. As I got closer she got up and lost her lunch at my feet. I realize her head and face were swollen to twice their normal size and she looked more like a sharpei with all their wrinkles, then a Labrador Retriever.

Rushing her to the vet, I had just been there that morning with my other dog, I wondered what had happened, had our garbage disposal pup eaten something that was her undoing. When I arrived, the vet was worried that, like two other dogs this week, perhaps she had gotten bitten by a rattler. Medicine was administered, five shots in all, and the conclusion was reached that Berkly had discovered and eaten a bumble bee.........

o.k. she is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but we do love her anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

about me

Alta Loma, California, United States
I am a newly, 3 years, transplanted California, who has found her heart in Northern Idaho. Married to my better half, Kevin, for 34 years, we live on ten acres with a pond, a barn with 23 antique John Deer tractors, 18 chickens and four labs (3 fox red, 1 chocolate) My hubby took an early out from United during this Covid situation, but still works full time as a flight examiner, we are learning how to empty nest to its fullest. Only thing that would make life better is if our children and daughter in law lived closer.