Pages

Why? my blog title "Better2me"

As a woman, mother, and wife my first instinct is to take care of those around me. I nurture those I love in many ways through out the day, but sometimes find myself neglecting me. Recently I realized that I need to nurture myself as well. So this blog is about ME!!!!! What fills my heart; my simple life of kids, husband, animals, home, and creativity. For being better2me leads me to be better to those I love.

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Well....

 Four years ago I was very lucky, after several blood transfusions due to uncontrolled bleeding, my new ob/gyn stated that I needed a hysterectomy.  The day after the surgery I found out that they had found uterine cancer in the pathology.  I waited seven weeks to heal and to have a mammogram, which came back suspicious but after more testing was fine, and colonoscopy which was clean.  I then went back in to have the lymph nodes removed to check for cancer cells and they were all clear. I was so lucky and blessed, they had caught it early and my oncologist told me that I would not die from uterine cancer.

Last week I scratched an itch on my left breast and felt something.  After some probing I realized I had a lump.  I called my dr and amazingly got in the next morning. As soon as Dr. Bertsch felt it she told me that she was glad I came in.  My worry began.

I called for an appt the next day for a mammogram/sonogram and was told 12 days.  I called my dr back to ask if that was ok and she was not.  She called and got me in on Monday, four days later.  During the mammogram/sonogram it was apparent something was wrong.  I sat waiting after the mammogram quite awhile as the dr looked it over.  Every time my technician came by she would not look at me.  I was placed in a special sonogram room where another tech spent a great deal of time getting the info.  When finished she went out and came back quickly with the radiologist who told me that he thought I had cancer and that I had not one lump but two.  One close to the skin on the top and one all the way at the bottom.  He stated I had a 70% chance of cancer but his mannerisms and statements insinuated it was just a formality.  

When I got tot he car, I immediately called the coordinator to set up an appt for the biopsies and the radiologist had already texted her.  She put my appt for Thursday and I asked if their was any way to get it sooner.  she was able to move some people around and called me later that afternoon, she had gotten me in at 11 the next day.

I was not worried about the biopsy, I just wanted it done.  The sonogram tech for it was Kristen and she was so kind.  The dr came in numbed the area on the surface and then deeper, cut a slit in the skin, placed a needle into the tumor, put another part into the needle and a click was heard as a sample was taken, then he placed a titanium pellet in the tumor so that a surgeon could be guided by it.  He then did the second the same way,(although he overshot the pellet and had to do it again).  When speaking with Kristen she told me that I would get results in 48 to 72 hours, and that it indeed had grown fast since it was only ten months ago I had had a mammogram, and that as the dr says breast cancer is a survivors cancer, and several other things that made me also realize they thought it was cancer.  

My worry is that this is related to my uterine cancer and that I will be stage four.  I want to be positive and need to be, but I worry that this time of life, that I have waited so long for; time with Kev where we can enjoy life together will be cut short.  My sister died at my age from lung cancer.  I am not ready.  

Today or tomorrow I will find out what type it is and hopefully soon can get in to see a oncologist to see what the plan of action is.  

I am very very scared.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

about me

Alta Loma, California, United States
I am a newly, 3 years, transplanted California, who has found her heart in Northern Idaho. Married to my better half, Kevin, for 34 years, we live on ten acres with a pond, a barn with 23 antique John Deer tractors, 18 chickens and four labs (3 fox red, 1 chocolate) My hubby took an early out from United during this Covid situation, but still works full time as a flight examiner, we are learning how to empty nest to its fullest. Only thing that would make life better is if our children and daughter in law lived closer.